Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Yellow Submarine-Remember The Meenies?

Some claim I've never grown up, others say I should cut my hair. Those barbs would be easier to take if the voices were not those of old comrades whom I counted as friends. Where did the disconnect occur, did I miss some memo, was I out in the woods smelling roses when the word went out to put away the bell bottom jeans?

Not complaining, but do admit to being confused. I thought we were out to change the world, believed our generation could make a difference, leave our mark on the world for generations to come. As a child I grew up practicing hiding under my desk while hearing all about the friendly atom. Today yuppies who were once hippies drive around in Beamers, playing the margins on Wall Street, and speaking of a Nuclear Renaissance saving us from Global Warming...it reminds me of the Twilight Zone, but this time around I want to change the channel, adjust my set.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The Iraq War, Vietnam, or George Bush verse Richard Nixon. If this is what they meant about a second childhood, I could really bypass the trip.



No comments: